[Sca-cooks] gnoochi italian feast

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur goldbergr1 at cox.net
Tue Sep 30 04:09:08 PDT 2003

>     Need some experience /knowledge about gnoochi.  {correct pronunciation
> for instance:  no chee / no kee / nu chi?}

It's spelled "gnocchi" (one o, two c's), and pronounced "nyoh-kee".

> I made some from cooking a paste
> of semolina flour, water & milk, after it was cooked, adding egg, butter
and
> parmasean.  Allowed that to set on a wet countertop, cut it into squares,
> shingled squares into a baking dish, brushed with butter, garlic basil,
and
> more parmasean.  Baked that for about 15 20 minutes, and found it all
gooped
> together again. {what the????}   Maybe I need to find a recipe that has
the
> shape {little  1/2 teaspoon dumplings} I usually asociate with gnoochi.

Most modern gnocchi recipes have potato in them, and are made from a VERY
stiff dough, then briefly boiled like pasta. The characteristic shape is
made by pressing a ball of the dough against a grooved board with your
thumb.

Avraham

Reb Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: A zygote is a gamete's way of producing more gametes. This may be
the purpose of the universe. - [Lazarus Long]

---