[Sca-cooks] Strudel recipe for Margali

BLorenz753 at aol.com BLorenz753 at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 10:18:52 PDT 2003

In a message dated 9/30/2003 1:06:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sca-cooks-request at ansteorra.org writes:

> Apple Strudel
> (from the Sugar Lodge at Sugarbush)
>
> Ingredients
> 6 cups tart apples, sliced
> 1 Tablespoon lemon rind, grated
> 2 teaspoons cinnamon
> 8 ounces phyllo leaves (1/2 box, thawed)
> 1 cup bread crumbs, finely crushed
> 3/4 cup raisins
> 3/4 cup sugar
> 3/4 cup almonds, ground
> 1-3/4 cups butter (no margarine), melted
> Mix apples with raisins, lemon rind, sugar, cinnamon, and almonds. Set
> aside. Place 1 phyllo leaf on a kitchen towel and brush with melted butter.
> Place a second leaf on top and brush with butter again. Repeat until 5
> leaves have been used, using about 1/2 cup of butter.
>
> Cook and stir bread crumbs with 1/4 cup of butter until lightly browned.
> Sprinkle 3/4 cup crumbs on the layered phyllo leaves. Mound 1/2 of the
> filling in a 3-inch strip along the narrow end of phyllo, leaving a 2-inch
> border. Lift towel, using it to roll leaves over apples, jelly roll
> fashion. Brush top of the strudel with butter and sprinkle with 2
> Tablespoons crumbs. Repeat the entire procedure for second strudel. Bake
> the strudels at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until browned.
>
> Note: Frozen phyllo leaves for strudel can be found at most supermarkets in
> the frozen foods section.
>
> Makes: 2 strudels, 6 to 8 servings each.

Hello All - - - Just my two-cent's-worth . . . Great recipe.  Works well with
walnuts as well.  You may want to keep the apples separate from the other in
gredients, that is, distribute the apples over the phyllo and then sprinkle the
remaining ingredients over the apples, then add the browned bread crumbs.
The result is a strudel that has less liquid, crisper pastry.  Yumm . . . Coffee
and a touch of vanilla ice cream please . . . or just sprinkle with some
vanilla sugar.

Bruce the Robert
Household Blackstar