[Sca-cooks] Re: Fish for breakfast

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Sep 30 18:54:43 PDT 2003

See
http://www.tasteofengland.co.uk/newshop.php3?CA=&UID=20031001024553207.75.182.140&T=&S=
http://www.britshoppe.com/fishitems.html

or you can take your pick from over 600 images by searching the images
file under "kippers."

Smoked Kippers (Smoked Ocean Herring)
A true Scottish delicacy, Kippers are fresh herring smoked over
smoldering oak chips. The result is a delicately flavored, thick, fleshy
fish suitable for a breakfast or brunch treat, or a light supper.
Delicious grilled, broiled or poached. Individually vacuum packed in
pairs. Five pounds.
http://www.mackenzieltd.com

Best I had during our year in the U.K. was in the west of Ireland.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 wrote:

> Aurore commented:
>
>>I'm not much of a fish eater, but don't forget kippers.
>

> So what exactly are "kippers"? A particular fish?

A particular treatment of fish such as being pickled? I've had "Kipper
Snacks" that come in a flat can like sardines or clams. Are these the
same as "kippers"? Or is this a Britishism and the rest of the
English-speaking world has a different name for these?