[Sca-cooks] OT: more on maker's marks in period

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Apr 2 20:47:12 PST 2004

Some one a few days ago was talking about using their heraldry as a
makers mark on the goods they were making or thinking of making, but
said someone had told them they weren't period. I noted they were, but
didn't have any evidence at hand to back it up. I just saw this on a
pewter website, http://www.englishpewter.co.uk/
"By Act of Parliament in 1503 all pewter manufacturers were required to
strike their maker's mark on their wares. This was to enable
identification to be made when checks were carried out at local fairs,
London pewterers recorded their marks on thick flat plates kept at
Pewterers Hall, where they can still be seen to this day."

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com