[Sca-cooks] Displaying vinegar in an A&S display or taste testing

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Fri Apr 9 16:21:37 PDT 2004

Elewyiss asked:

Can I get the recipe for the vinegar mustrad souce? I'm need ways to<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

show off my vinegar in competitions that's not sekanjabin.

<<<<<

This might make a wonderful mustard sauce, but is it a good way to show off a vinegar? While different types of vinegar, particularly the strong tasting ones, may be obvious in a mustard sauce, I think that you are going to hide the nuances of the vinegar there if you are wanting to highlight the vinegar and not the mustard.

When I took a vinegar tasting class at last year's Pennsic, the teacher had us use chunks of bread to dip into the vinegar and taste. Perhaps you should provide samples of the vinegar this way with additional period things you have made with it, such as the mustard sauce and/or sekanjabin. Switchel(sp?) might be another vinegar based drink that would work. An oil and vinegar salad dressing is another period thing, but I'm not sure how well that would work in an A&S display. Vinegar is also given as a condiment for the blander seafood such as shrimp, I believe.

Stefan