[Sca-cooks] Anyone want a first edition Platina?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 13 20:40:05 PDT 2004

This was in another one of those unusual emails that I get because
somebody's search engine found the Florilegium.
Hey, the shipping is only $7.00 and $3.50 for each additional book. :-)
I don't know, maybe one or two of you in the New York City area might
want to stop by just to see this book. I can forward the entire message
to anyone who wants it.

Stefan

Our internet-only Catalogue of 45 Select New Arrivals for the New York
Book Fair has been posted on our web site.  It includes a number of
early printed books including several incunables, scarce Modern First
Editions, signed books, etc.

The total list of 45 items is below. [I've included just this one book]
We will be bringing these and much more to the New York Book Fair later
this week.  Please visit us in Booth B-27.

  29. PLATINA,   Bartolomeo.  DE  LA   HONESTA  VOLUPTATE   ET
          VALITUDINE  with JOSEPH VEHLING'S PLATINA AND THE REBIRTH  OF
          MAN (1941).  (Venice): (Hieronymous de Sanctis) (1487). First
          Edition.  Small  quarto  in  eights   (5-3/4"  x  8-1/4")  in
          original  plain  cedar boards with vellum strings  and  metal
          clasp (lacks  portion)  in the monastic style. No title  page
          (as issued), iv, 70 (of 74) leaves, lacking b2 (page 10), e4-
          5 (pages  36-37),  and h8 (page 64). Printed in black  letter
          with woodcut  initials.  THE  FIRST PRINTED COOKBOOK  IN  THE
          FIRST EDITION IN A LANGUAGE OTHER THAN LATIN. Brunet IV, 692;
          Goff P766a;  Hain  13057; Simon I, 80; Vicaire  697.  Various
          sources  locate about a dozen copies in Europe, nearly all in
          Italy.  OCLC  locates a copy only at the National Library  of
          Medicine;  Goff (Incunabula in American Libraries) lists  one
          at the  Pierpont Morgan Library. NUC locates no copies.  Only
          one copy,  this one (1997), sold at auction in over 40 years.
          The original  edition  was  published in Rome in  1474.  This
          edition  in  Italian is the first designed expressly for  the
          public  printed  in  the language of the people and  not  the
          scholars  and  monks,  and  is also one of  the  first  books
          printed  in  Italian.  It contains  many  recipes  (including
          French  toast, caviare, and blackbird) as well as a guide  to
          good living  with  a chapter devoted to wine  and  vinegar. A
          copy of  this edition was found in the library of Leonardo Da
          Vinci after  his  death.  Platina,   the  Vatican  librarian,
          derived  much  of  his text from a manuscript by  Martino  of
          Como. Joseph   Vehling's  copy  with   his  bookplate.   With
          Vehling's  book on Platina, this being the author's copy  (#1
          of 500),  which contains a facsimile of the original  Platina
          manuscript.  In slipcase. Somewhat shaken. Some worming  with
          loss of letters. Very Good                         $25,000.00

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Payment with order; institutions may
be billed. Postage additional: $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each
thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania
residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express
and Discover accepted.  We are also open to reasonable payment terms.
A book may be returned within 7 days of receipt for any reason provided
it is in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given.  Please
insure returns for their full value.  We carry a select and diverse
stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary
First Editions, Signed Books & Autographs, and Limited Editions Club
books.  We are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers
Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of
Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as the International Autograph
Dealers Alliance (IADA), the Manuscript Society, and the Universal
Autograph Collectors Club (UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with
any wants or offerings. Thank you.

CHARLES AGVENT
291 Linden Road
Mertztown, PA 19539-8750