[Sca-cooks] Re: small meal, need additions

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 29 08:45:03 PDT 2004

Iasmin wrote:
Within the next few weeks, I need to cook a small meal of snacks for guests. <snip>
- Mushrooms in Pate (German, late period)
- Crab in Pate (English, late period)
- Adobo (Spanish, late period)
- Pasta and Green Sauce (Italian, late period)
- Shortbread (English, uhmmm...I forget *grin*)
<snip>
I need something to serve the pate on. These were special requests and I hope to make them for the first time this week to test out the recipes I've translated. I also need....something. Something else. A pickled dish? Something as simple as olives? I'm not sure. Suggestions anyone? I'd appreciate some thoughts.

Iasmin

Not that I'm biased or anything.  But there are some dishes served in the primo servizio of Italian meals that would serve.  My suggestions

Salziccio cott'in vino - sweet Italian sausage cooked in wine, served cold (you can use commercially prepared the recipe hasn't changed that much, just boil in a wine/water mixture with a few added spices to taste)
Insalata d'asparagi - Asparagus salad, lightly cooked asparagus in a dressing of orange juice, orange peel and olive oil
Olives - of course
Lombard tart - pie crusts filled with ricotta and spinach
How about focaccia for the bread, flat bread with rosemary and salt.

Helewyse