[Sca-cooks] Aloxa, a honey drink

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 29 20:38:23 PDT 2004

We've had a lot of OT posts in the past few days, and several of those have
been from me (bad Brighid, no bizcocho!).  By way of atonement, here's a
small segment from my new translation project.

La aloxa es cierto genero de agua miel que se haze con especias calientes,
bevese en tiempo de estio, porque dizen que refresca, y no se engañan
mucho en ello, porque aunque sea verdad que por parte de las especias y la
miel calienta, empero por la mucha porcion de agua refresca, y las especias
hazen penetrar la agua por todo el cuerpo, por que se abren los caños y
poros del cuerpo, y ansi casualmente de per accidens refrescan, aunque de
suyo calienten.

Aloxa is a certain kind of honey water which is made with hot spices; it is
drunk in summertime, because they say that it refreshes, and they are not
very wrong about that, because although it is true that the spices and the
honey heat it up, however, the much larger portion of water refreshes, and
the spices cause the water to penetrate throughout the body, because they
open the channels and the pores of the body, and thus coincidently and per
accidens [Latin for "by accident"] they refresh, although by themselves they
cause heat.

Francisco Nuñez de Oria, "Aviso de Sanidad" (Advice on Health),  Madrid,
1572
http://alfama.sim.ucm.es/dioscorides/consulta_libro.asp?ref=X533126427

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net