[Sca-cooks] Grain mill question

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 6 20:56:35 PDT 2004

The short answer is, I don't know.

The long answer has two parts... the summer after I graduated from
college, I  visited a reconstructed prehistoric village in Denmark. They
had reenactors (students who would live there for the summer, IIRC) and
one thing they were doing was, in fact, grinding grain with a hand block
and grinder. So, they or someplace like them might know?

The second part, though... I had somehow acquired for the day another
American student, who kept rhapsodizing about the good old ways of doing
things, mourning loudly the effete modern stores. (Of course, he'd never
actually made anything himself - I, at 21, already baked bread, wove
fabric, sewed clothing... and really liked being able to buy things when
I didn't want to do all that!)  When we saw the woman grinding grain, he
exclaimed how wonderful the bread from this must taste! At which, the
Danish woman looked up and said "Actually, it's all full of stone
dust... " Now, I have no idea why this would be more so than flour
ground in a miller's mill,  perhaps a softer stone but I don't know
why... but I thought I'd pass on the one comment I have ever heard from
someone who actually did this.

Now, if she wants to use a regular grain mill, I understand that really
is wonderful, quite fresh.

AEllin