[Sca-cooks] edible gold leaf

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Apr 8 12:15:52 PDT 2004

Also sprach Thebard:
>Knew I'd forget something, I also know that in some stores that
>cater to anyone for India you can sometimes find edible silver leaf
>under the name of vark, if I remember right.  So it might be
>something to check out as well.
>
>James

Vark comes in gold or silver; both are edible. While they can be used
for a variety of decorative purposes, their primary purpose is for
wrapping "pills" made of betel nut and various spices and flavorings.

Silver vark is expensive, but it goes a long way; I think I got about
a dozen sheets of approximately 4x6 inches for maybe $30. I forget
how much the price for gold was, but it was too much for me at that
time. YMMV.

I prefer the powder myself, only because I don't have the patience or
the steadiness of hand required to work the leaf really well, and if
you do a bad job with silver vark it just looks pretty much like
aluminum foil.

The edible gold powder, though, works rather well when mixed with
sugar and sprinkled on a hot pastry (or other dry surface), and
placed in the oven just enough to melt...

Adamantius