[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 8 14:50:06 PDT 2004

Quite frankly, I think it differs from Kingdom to Kingdom, time to time
and, often, person to person. I was told that I couldn't get one because
I hadn't cooked any Kingdom level events (don't know who it was that
cooked two Coronations, a Baronial Investiture and helped with Kingdom
20th Year)...then watched as a lady who had never cooked a feast get
one...for her sweetmeats. Sigh. I also think that what you were told
will probably be different the next King and Laurel you talk with. I
believe that the best definition I have ever heard is that the major
consideration is whether or not you have contributed to the "body of
knowledge" in your area of expertise. All I can say is that, IMHO, what
you have done is more than enough. But then I'm not in your Kingdom. I
don't really care for competitions...I think they are vastly
overrated...but lots of folk disagree with me. But enough people feel
the same way I do that I can't imagine what you were told being the case!

I don't know what else to say...I finally gave up...after 20+ years, I
figured it wasn't ever going to happen. And then it did! And it was
given partially for cooking but also partially for an area I had been
told I would NEVER get recognition for...Japanese research and teaching.
So go figure!

Kiri