[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel

Carper, Rachel rachel.carper at hp.com
Thu Apr 8 16:26:55 PDT 2004

As far as whether cooking is an art or a science is quite simple. A
science is something that can be exactly reproduced by following the
same process time after time and be agreed upon by all observers. An art
is something that can be experienced by 100 people and each person has a
differing perspective.

Yes, and in my opinion this is the only area where the two combine. That
is why Neuvelle Cusine failed, they tried to be just an art form.

>Impact on an area equal to or larger larger than your local group --
>the
>people who make these decisions need, essentially, to consider where
the
>art is with you versus where it'd be without you. This can be done with

>feast work, but teaching, publishing in SCA venues, workshops, etc.,
are
>all valuable for getting your message across, whatever that may be.

Although I agree with this it seems to be more a Pelican issue than
Laurel. If we accept that cooking is an art I don't think you can judge
how you advanced the art. You can judge whether your art affects people,
if it interests them or moves them to learn.

>Make it look easy. This is less a matter of skill (although it
>certainly
>helps) than one of remaining calm in the face of adversity or
emergency.

True. Although getting the food out on time is a higher priority than
looking like the world is falling apart as you do it.

But, as in fighting, style points count.

I agree that getting the food out on time at a feast is important,
nearly impossible if feast occures after court, I also think style
counts. However this is another unseen talent. Unless the Laurels or the
Crown are actually in the kitchen they aren't going to see how you have
over come adversity.

One of the main goals of a laurel (IMO) is to be a
>poster child for your art form, and set an example to the populace.
>Essentially, to make them say, "that is so cool, I want to learn to do
>that."

Definately. One of my thoughts on a Laurel is that is a person that
people go to when they have a question about a certain art.

That's always what I thought.

>Be approachable and user-friendly; remember that the tongue can be a
>deadly
>weapon, and try to consider the possible ramifications of what you say
>before you say it.

Heh. I've seen several candidates for all areas of the Peerage get shot
down by Crowns with, "We have no doubt of this person's abilities. But
we aren't going to be the ones who reward their attitude."

Too Right. I think attitude should be about 80% of it. Politics is a
Pelican thing. Laurels are about art and helping others and passing on
knowledge. And you can't do that with an attitude.

>Exercise some leadership in the community of your fellow-artisans.
>Sometimes this can mean knowing when to keep your mouth shut as much as

>knowing when to speak, and what to say.

Oops! Okay, I know why I'll never get one now.  :-D

Me either. Big foot, big mouth. I just chocolate coat my toes these
days.

Two cents from a none Laurel. (But I do want to be one one day.)
Elewyiss