[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel--long-winded response ;o)

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu Apr 8 21:59:49 PDT 2004

Oooh.  Interesting question, Papa.
(maire puts on her magic laurel and pelican medallions)
While I have yet to attend a peers' circle as a pelican, being just
newly fledged, I've sat in a significant number of laurels' circles and
joint circles over the years (11? 12? I've actually lost count) since I
was asked by Their Aten Majesties to accept the accolade of laurel.
I've only ever lived in the one shire/barony (Sentinels' Keep), although
it's been two kingdom's worth, counting Atenveldt before the kingdom
split and Artemisia afterwards, so I don't have much experience with IKA
differences.  I've also had the honor of serving as Aten MoAS, and as
Aten A&S Champion....
That said, I've been parts of circles that did things like create the
first rapier laurel, and the 4th? laurel for equestrian arts, and have
also whole-heartedly supported a number of folk who've never entered a
competition in their entire SCA careers.  So I say, with some emphasis,
"Bah, humbug!" to the whole idea of making competitions some sort of
hoop prospective laurels have to jump through to get the green leaves
(in whatever form they might happen to come in a particular kingdom).
Competitions are only one tool in an entire array of things that folks
who are interested in various artistic and scientific endeavors can use.
  (kind of a run-on sentence, but I hope it makes sense)  Some people
like them, some don't.  They can be handy as a forum for getting
feedback, or expanding your understanding of a topic, and yes, they can
help to gain you renown (both positive and negative--laurels do
g/o/s/s/i/p/ discuss things they see at competitions).  But they're not
The One True Way, by any means, especially when dealing with the more
unusual subjects, or the more ephemeral arts/sciences such as cooking or
performing arts.
What do I look for, when exploring the potential of a candidate for the
order? First of all, I look for PLQs (peer-like qualities).  Are they
courteous, even under pressure? Do they show long-term evidence of other
qualities such as (but not limited to) chivalry, faith, largesse, etc?
Are they somebody I can respect, even if I might not agree with them? Do
they treat others with respect? If those sorts of qualities aren't
present, I don't care how good they might be with a stick, or a spoon,
or an office--being a peer is a *lot* more than a given skill set....
When looking for laurel-specific qualities, I look for the same sorts of
things so eloquently put by Regina and Huette and others--excellence in
one or more art forms, ability AND willingness to share one's knowledge
and journey into knowledge with others, a certain hunger to keeping
learning and experimenting, a genuine joy and certain passion about the
given topic(s), that sort of thing.  Doesn't matter if you're a research
geek (we have a Research Laurel, Sir Ronan, in our kingdom), or are into
broad areas of stuff (more of a M'lord/lady of all trades like me), or
have focused more specifically in one area (like Syr Kian, one of our
locals, who specializes in Things Norse, especially stone carvings).
Doesn't matter if you do arts or sciences--although, I should add, we
don't make anything of a difference between the two around here.  I tend
to take the words literally--an art being something you do, and a
science being something you know, but they both have equal validity to me.
I'd like to say that I've seen wonderful, awe-inspiring instances of all
these qualities among many of the members of this list.  Dang, but all
the research and effort and sharing and service and translating is just
plain intimidating sometimes! I only know most of you through the magic
of the internet, but I certainly do consider you all my equal, and many
of you my superiors in your skill and knowledge, especially in food
issues! (I am SO not a cooking or food research laurel!)  If your
respective kingdoms haven't gotten around to recognizing that, it's
their loss.  If you enjoy what you're doing, and you're having a great
time learning and sharing, whether through cooking a feast or
translating a text or serving as a resource for research, that's what's
important, isn't it? The medallion is just gravy.....
--Maire, OL, OP, Artemisian needlework/costuming/textile stuff geek who
sometimes masquerades as a feast cook.....