[Sca-cooks] Sugar Cane

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Fri Apr 9 01:59:44 PDT 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 19:59:59 -0400, "Carper, Rachel" <rachel.carper at hp.com>
wrote :

> Howdy everybody. As I plan Olwen's AoA scroll I need a little
> information. Is sugar cane period? If not did they use anything else
> besides Honey as a sweetner?

Sugar cane is period in that its existence was known from the beginning of
the Middle Ages onwards (it may be mentioned in Pliny - there is debate
whether he isn't describing another type of reed - and was certainly
described by a source close to Alexander's campaign, most likely Nearchus.
Herodotus is usually credited with the firtst mention of sugar in European
culture. By the 2nd century AD, 'saccharum/sakkharon' was a familiar
substance to doctors, listed by Galen and Discurides.

However, in spite ofsome claims to the contrary I know of no evidence
forsugar cane in the Byzantine territories prior to their loss to the
Islamic world. Sugar cane was probably grown in Persia (Euphrates/Tigris
delta) as early as the 6th/7th century AD, and made it to Egypt prior to
1000. The Crusaders encountered sugar cane in the Levant and Syria, and by
the 12th century the Kitab al-Felah from al-Andalus lists it as a familiar
cash crop. Presumably it would also have been found in Sicily. By the 14th
century it was becoming a staple cash crop in Sicily and the southern
Iberian peninsula, the Balearics, and parts of the Middle East (North
Africa, too, most likely, though I have found no mention of it outside
Egypt), and by the 15th century had been transplanted to the Cape Verde
Island and Canaries. The the New World encountered it within Columbus'
lifetime (Portuguese-style island plantations were an early business model
for the Conquistadors).

However, sugarcane does not grow very far north (Spain and central Italy is
about the limit), so most medieval Europeans (as opposed to most medieval
North Africans or Syrians) would not know sugarcane, just possibly know
about it (and considering how many Brits were prepared to believe in the
spaghetti harvest in the 60s, I wonderhow many would). Sugar processing was
usually done on the spot as the cane deteriorates rapidly after harvesting.

Does that help?

Giano