[Sca-cooks] alternatives to A&S competitions

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 10:45:18 PDT 2004

>Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>>How do you mean that these Expos tend to get a lot of Laurels
>>participating? Do you mean as the artisans?
>
>Both as artisans and (more often) as rather active spectators, engaging in
>various forms of networking (getting contact info for the person who does
>that lovely fingerlooping, say, they've always wanted to try but could
>never figure out). They're encouraged to leave little tokens of
>appreciation (which range from little personal tokens, like badges or
>favors, to things like semi-precious stones, glass beads, small bottles of
>things like saffron or long pepper, and in one case, a leaf that broke off
>my laurel wreath, for which my lady wife, the silversmith responsible for
>it, had some words for me) and to ask questions that are not only for their
>own satisfaction and enlightenment, but also to perhaps spur the
>artisan/presenter along a logical path they may not otherwise be interested
>in following, or have thought of following. In the case of cooks, just as
>an example, we sometimes find that this is when they make The Great Leap
>from Hot, On-Time and Peri-Oid, to hot, on-time and period.
>Adamantius

I am not a Laurel, but I am honored to be in the Kingdom A&S polling Order
of the Pearl here in Atlantia.  The Order has put together a list of judges
for A&S competitions.  You sign up to be available to judge for the types of
things that are in your personal scope of interest and knowledge.  The list
is posted on the Atlantian website.  If an event in your area or at an event
you travel to attend has something in that area of interest you will
probably get tapped to judge.  It really is an improvement to the archaic
system of judging even if all you know are oranges and armor but only apples
and lace are in the competition.  *All* people are welcome and encouraged to
leave tokens or comments at both displays and at competitions.  Oftener than
not, both types will be at an event.
Olwen