[Sca-cooks] Easter morning, was Verjus

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 12 16:51:11 PDT 2004

Yes, for whoever is interested, I will share the recipes.  No, it is not
the one you remember.  You remember "Savory Toasted Cheese" which is
adapted in Atlantia from the Digby recipe.  The feast I'm doing is
Italian Ren...and the asparagus has a totally different kind of sauce.
This one is from Libre de Sent Sovi, as translated and redacted by
Vincent Cuenca:

Asparagus in Sauce

Libre de Sent Sovi (Receptari de Cuina).  1979 Editorial Barcino.  Ed.
By Rudolph Grewe.  Translated and redacted by Vincente Cuenca (SCA
Cooks' List)

 Capitol CXVII.  Qui parla con sa deuen aperellar esparechs ab salsa

 Si vols aperellar esparech ab salsa, se ffa axi:  Prin lo tender dels
esparechs, e cou-los be'. E quant seran cuyts, prem-los de aquella
aygua, ecapole-us be':  e puys soffrig-los en una casola ab molt holi.
E tall-y hom ceba manut tallada e escaldade.  E quant son prop de
soffits ab les sebes una pessa, a hom arop o mel, met-n'I hom un poc.

 E ffa hom salsa axi': Prin om pa torrat mullat en vinagre e do bones
salces, e trempa hom ab un poc d'ayguo calda ho brou.  E quant los
esparechs son soffrits, a hom la salsa, axi com demunt es dit; e va ab
ells, e axi cou-se.  E no.n  deu hom pertir la ma entro'que an perdut lo
bolir e son levats del ffoch.

 Chapter CXVII.  Which speaks of how to prepare asparagus in sauce

 If you wish to prepare asparagus in sauce, it is done this way; take
the (tenderest?) of the asparagus, and cook them well.  And when they
are cooked, take them out of the water, and chope them well; and you can
sweat them in a pan with much (holi? Oil?).  And add finely chopped and
blanched onion.  And when they are properly sweated, add a little sugar
syrup or honey.

 And make the sauce this way:  take toasted bread moistened with vinegar
and some fine spices, and themper them with a little hot water or
broth.  And when the asparagus are sweated, ad the sauce to them, as is
said above; and it goes with them, and so cook it.  And you should not
remove your hand from it until it has lost its boil and you remove it
from the fire.

 Redaction:

 1 bunch asparagus
2-3 scallions or onions, finely chopped
1 handful (1/2 cup) breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp. honey
1 pinch ground cinnamon
2 pinches ground ginger
4-5 peppercorns
2 cloves
1/2  tsp. grains of paradise
red wine vinegar

 Peel and trim asparagus, then set pot to boil.  Grind peppercorns,
grians of paradise and cloves to a fine powder, then added other
spices.  Toast breadcrumbs, then add to mortar.  Sweat scallions in a
little oil.  When asparagus is done, lift them out into the pan with the
onions.  Mash breadcrujmbs with a little vinegar, the honey and some of
the cooking liquid from the asparagus to form a thin paste.  I scraped
it out over the onions and asparagus, added more cooking liquid to thin
sauce a little more.

 Since I was working so fast, I didn't take time to chop the asparagus.
The sauce was a nice light brown color, and was absolutely amazing with
the asparagus.
Be sure sauce is thin enough...by adding asparagus water.

 Serves 4

We did cut the asparagus up into lengths of about 2".  And we used
regular onion.  It was a yummy dish, and one that I think our folk will
enjoy.

Kiri

--
Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.