[Sca-cooks] Suggestions Needed

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Apr 13 08:21:07 PDT 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

I'm sorry, John, but I have to honestly say that this just isn't going to
work. I strongly feel that there's no way that SCAdians are going to pay the
money necessary to produce a feast on our usual scale under these
circumstances. As an example, using my budget for Tavern, $10 per head
(which admittedly included Dayboard, you'd have to chargew (roughly) $24 to
$30 per head. Even with price breaks for kids, very few people would be
willing to pay that much money for an untried mundane cook. I rather doubt
that you'd get much in donations of either food or effort for the site owner
to make a profit, and keep the expenses down.

If I thought that this might turn a light on in SCAdians' heads about how
much effort goes into one of our SCA feasts, I'd be all for it, but you're
going to wind up with a more or less mundane meal, over-priced accoeding to
our ethic, and rather than being excited by how much we as volunteers do for
the feasters, the populace will simply pass the word that that feast is a
rip off (even though it probably wouldn't be, in mundane terms) and it would
never happen again.

Having just helped with EK Coronation, I saw the effort that Brighid put out
to cut expenses- cooking stuff at home and storing it for weeks ahead, all
the volunteers, careful shopping, lots of research, etc, and was able to
bring it in for less than $7 per head. For the same money, you'd be lucky to
get hamburgers and potato salad, with canned peaches for dessert.

IfI may make a suggestion, you might want to take the site owner to an event
with a known good feast, and show him what we usually get, for what sort of
price. I think, upon reflection, he'll realize he can't match it. With any
luck, he might consider renting you the facilities and letting US do a
proper feast...

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.