[Sca-cooks] PDF files

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 16 08:28:07 PDT 2004

>I hate PDF files for the very same reasons stated here. They are darn hard
>to read, they hurt my eyes and you can't manipulate them and pull bits of
>text or change it in any way...
>Cousin Phillipa

Maybe you have an old version of Adobe?  At least when I open PDF files
(and I don't have the newest version of Adobe), I can select and copy most
text with no problems.  You have to be sure the Text Select Tool (box with
a large letter "T" in it on the toolbar) is selected, rather than the Hand
Tool (which seems to be the default), but it works fine for me in most
cases.  I'm not sure what you'd do to copy something other than text.  It
seems to vary from document to document, however.  I think there may be a
way to prevent the Text Select tool from working; I just copied text from a
PDF document I had with no problem, but when I tried to do the same with
the "The Thatcher's Craft" booklet, it didn't work.  It looks like they
have a sort of "read/write protect" default set.  Perhaps they are
concerned about people copying and re-using without proper attribution?

Sandra