[Sca-cooks] Laurel Vs. Pelican

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Fri Apr 16 21:31:18 PDT 2004

My answer to Pelican vs Laurel would consist of an examination of Service or
Art.

 Most of those I think of as "pure Pelican" are paper-pushers.  Their
efforts give the rest of us a place to play.  A "pure Laurel" would be one
whose Art is foremost.  Service can be more one-on-one as in teaching or
providing artistic efforts to the populace/Kingdom (note I said _can_ be).
I would not consider someone for a Pelican if they the limited impact on
others/Kingdom that someone I would consider for a Laurel did.  Pelicans
don't tend to be one-on-one teachers, or they may not "teach" at all in the
more accepted sense.  They may hold offices and do them well.  Big points
for that.  Autocratting events?  Medium points.  Teaching others to
autocrat?  High Points.
	This pre-supposes that the other rather nebulous "Peer Like Qualities" are
also present.  They are something like pornography :-) I can't tell you
exactly what it is, but I recognize it when I see it, a la the Supreme Court
(tongue in cheek, sorta).
	Those are the "pure" types.  Many Peers combine the two, but are heavily
weighted (sorry) one way or another.

	What do I look for in a Pelican candidate?  Long term service (more than a
couple of years).  Service outside their local branch.  If the service is
primarily within their branch, it better be d**med good and consistent.
Attitude - "oh, I MUST do this or the world will end" doesn't impress me.
Pelicans may vuln their own breasts, but martyrdom is not a good Peer
characteristic.  Delegation and supervision are.

	What do I look for in a Laurel candidate?  Top marks in their art/arts.
Teaching others.  Either formally through classes, one-on-one with students,
publications, or on the Internet (see the Medieval Pavilion Resources
website http://www.currentmiddleages.org/tents/ put together by Mistress
Mira Silverlock, and utilized by the Known World).  Offices held?  Not
particularly; events autocratted - no again.

	Maybe the difference between a Fine Civil Servant, and a great artist.  The
two are not mutually exclusive as witnessed by the number of double, triple
and even quadruple Peers among us!

Regina Romsey
OL, OP