[Sca-cooks] New World Foods in the Old World

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 18 21:26:02 PDT 2004

I would say it probably is maize (Indische Korn or Indian corn), as that was
introduced to Europeans during Columbus's first voyage.  Maize appears in
Fuch's Herbal of 1543 and while I haven't read the text of that edition,
IIRC, a later edition comments on maize being grown in gardens in Germany.
>From other records, we know that it was being used in breads and other baked
goods in the latter half of the 16th Century.

Bear