[Sca-cooks] Wine must???

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Mon Apr 19 09:28:11 PDT 2004

Giano commented:

Wine can also be reduced this way, but it always struck me as pointless to <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

first ferment it, the boil off the alcohol. Of course, there are wines the

juice for which you don't normally get (raisin wine, Eiswein, Shiraz) so if

you're looking for a special flavour that could be the way to go

<<<<<

But doesn't fermenting change the taste of the wine, not just create alcohol? In which case reduced fermented juice would taste different from reduced unfermented juice.

I thought Eiswein was made from late season grapes and not a special grape. But yes, starting with a more sugary juice would have an effect after being boiled down. But I've wanted to try Eiswein after the comments about it here and stayed away from buying a bottle because of the cost. To pay those prices and then boil it down... Ouch!

Stefan