Eiswein, was Re: [Sca-cooks] Wine must???

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 17:04:33 PDT 2004

--- "Harris Mark.S-rsve60"

> I thought Eiswein was made from late season
> grapes and not a special grape. But yes,
> starting with a more sugary juice would have an
> effect after being boiled down. But I've wanted
> to try Eiswein after the comments about it here
> and stayed away from buying a bottle because of
> the cost. To pay those prices and then boil it
> down... Ouch!
>

> Stefan

Eiswein is made from grapes that were frozen on
the vine by an unexpected freeze.  The growers
bring the grape press into the vinyard and press
the grapes while they are still frozen.  If they
defrost before they are pressed, the wine will
not be as good.

The late harvest wine is Berenauslese.  The very
very late harvest wine is Trockenberenauslese.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.