[Sca-cooks] Eiswein

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 20 21:12:24 PDT 2004

Faerisa commented:
> Huette von Ahrens wrote:
> > Canada is experimenting in making eiswein.
>
> I've gotta interject here :-)
> I believe one could say we're past the experimenting stage, since many
> of our ice wines are now receiving critical acclaim rivaling some of
> the
> German ones.
So, how are these labeled? As "Eiswein", "Ice Wine" or something else?
I'm probably going to have to go to a specialty wine store or at least
somewhere other than my grocery to find these, and the sales staff
there would probably know what I was asking for, but it would be nice
to know more specifically what to ask for. At least now I know the
sub-categories, although I don't know which is better. But the late
harvest ones are probably sweeter, unless like mead, the length of time
the must is brewed will make as much of a difference as how sweet it
starts out.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas