[Sca-cooks] a small meal, need additions

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 29 05:35:45 PDT 2004

I've found that the "carrot salad" from "Dining with William
Shakespeare" to be quite good, refreshing and very popular...and easy to
make!!!
1 # baby carrots

3 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. chervil
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
4 tbsp. Salad oil
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 lg. Sprig parsley

Scrub carrots and cut off green tops.  Bring water, salt, chervil to a
boil in a saucepan.  Add the carrots, cover the pot, and cook until the
carrots are tender but still crisp--about 10 minutes.

In a deep bowl, mix together the vinegar, oil and pepper. Drain the
carrots, add them to the dressing and stir them until they are nicely
coated.  Cover the bowl and marinate the carrots in the dressing for at
least an hour.

Wash the parsley in cold water, shake off the moisture, and snip off the
stems.  Make a rosette of the leaves in the center of a dinner plate.
Arrange the carrots around the parsley like a sunburst, and pour a
little of the dressing over the carrots.

Original:  Carrets boyled and eaten with vinegar, Oyle, and Pepper serve
for a special good salad to stirre up appetite, and to puyrifie blood.
-William Vaughn, Directions for Health

Dining with William Shakespeare, Madge Lorwin.

Kiri

iasmin at comcast.net wrote:

>Within the next few weeks, I need to cook a small meal of snacks for guests. Earlier this month I asked if anyone could remember the location of the recipes for potted mushrooms or mushrooms in pate, which I have subsequently found in the German corpus (I was looking in a completely different location). I'm trying to pick a few dishes, but create them in quantity. Right now I'm leaning toward:
>
>- Mushrooms in Pate (German, late period)
>- Crab in Pate (English, late period)
>- Adobo (Spanish, late period)
>- Pasta and Green Sauce (Italian, late period)
>- Shortbread (English, uhmmm...I forget *grin*)
>
>By the choices, I'm obviously not married to any culture. I'm looking to find some very small number of additional dishes to flesh this out. It's likely I won't have much space to serve this (buffet/party style), possibly as little space as a card table. But I do have access to a considerable amount of equipment to assist me (the entire baronial hoard of serving dishes, including four large chafers and at least two portable roasting ovens). Other than a portable cooler or two I can bring with, I will have no refrigeration.
>
>I need something to serve the pate on. These were special requests and I hope to make them for the first time this week to test out the recipes I've translated. I also need....something. Something else. A pickled dish? Something as simple as olives? I'm not sure. Suggestions anyone? I'd appreciate some thoughts.
>
>Iasmin

Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to
knowledge and wisdom to curiosity.
					-- C.E. Lawrence