[Sca-cooks] a small meal, need additions

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 29 08:49:12 PDT 2004

> Iasmin
> I need something to serve the pate on. These were special requests and I
hope to make them for the first time this week to test out the recipes I've
translated. I also need....something. Something else. A pickled dish?
Something as simple as olives? I'm not sure. Suggestions anyone? I'd
appreciate some thoughts.

Greetings,

For serving the pate, have you considered savory wafers? I only make sweet,
but I know that both sweet and savory were used in period. Possibly someone
here has a good savory recipe? Also, I know you can purchase the sweet
pre-mades, possibly you can find savory also.

If you are looking for something simple in the olive/pickle range I have a
tapenade that has gone over very well every time I and several others have
served it. You balance it the way you would like it. THL Tara skews it
towards the mint for greek dishes. I have skewed it towards the fennel
because I wanted to. I have another friend who adds garlic, just for fun.

Olive Tapenade
A Taste of Ancient Rome...a recipe by Cato #119
Epitrium album, nigrum, varium sic facto. Ex oleis albis, nigris variisque
nucleos eicito. Sic condito. Concidito ipsas, addito oleum, acetum,
coriandrum, cuminum, feniculum, rutum, mentam. In orculum condito, oleum
supra siet. Ita utito.
Make Green, black or varicolored epityrum in this way. Pit the green, black
or varicolored olives. Season them thus: Chop them, and add oil, vinegar,
coriander, cumin, fennel, rue and mint. Put them in a small jar, with oil on
top and they are ready to use.

Black Olives
Green Olives
Olive Oil
Red Wine Vinegar
Leaf Coriander (cilantro)
Cumin
Fennel
Fresh Mint
Chop everything up (I use a food processor), mix together let sit, a week is
best.

Serve with a nice bread, it is also good with fresh cheese curds.

Glad Tidings,

--Serena da Riva