[Sca-cooks] Re: 50's vs '70s

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Apr 29 13:54:37 PDT 2004

Also sprach Devra at aol.com:
>I would never dream of arguing with you, Master Adamantius, but during the
>late '60s adn 'early '70s I was deeply involved with that weird guy with the
>pointy ears, and the other guy who breathed funny,

Jack Palance???

>  which definitely made life
>more bearable.

Yeah, I could see that. The thing is, it was basically still the
sixties until at least 1972 or 3. In between that and the awful era
of disco, doubleknit polyester suits and epidemic cocaine abuse, we
have that cultural mire of big sideburns, platform shoes, leisure
suits, huge bell-bottoms, terrible sitcoms and about five excellent
movies. And apart from that, nuthin'. I think the Yankees won one
World Series in that time before Steinchthulhu bought them and they
became officially evil. Actually they were merely increasingly
disturbing until 2000, at which time they became officially evil.

In general, though, the mid-70's doesn't seem to hold a lot for our
culture to be proud of, comparted to some other decades.

>So 'Grease' wasn't set in the 50's?

It's intended to be. I never actually saw the play, but that was the
impression I got. The movie, on the other hand, is clearly, if you
look at the clothes, the hair, etc., set in a comic book in an alien
world.

>   It sure reminded me of my high school
>days.  ugh
>      Devra the not-totally-socialized

I'm not old enough to comment in much more detail, I confess.

A.