[Sca-cooks] Aloxa, a honey drink

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 30 09:35:22 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: "Pixel, Goddess and Queen" <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com>

Cool! Is there anything in the MS about what "hot spices" might be
generally considered to be, or do we just go with what we like? What
spices were popular in Spain at that time?

Margaret

There is no recipe given, and no spices specified for this drink.  It is a health manual, not a cookbook.  Elsewhere in the book, it mentions that cinnamon, cloves, and galingale are all hot.  You can get an idea of popular spices in 16th century Spain by looking at my translation of de Nola, especially recipes 2 through 6.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.html

Personally, I'd use the spices which de Nola reccomends for clarea and hypocras -- cinnamon, cloves, and ginger -- and proportion according to taste.

Brighid ni Chiarain