[Sca-cooks] Re: Bananas/plantains

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Aug 2 19:37:07 PDT 2004

Was written:

> > ISTR at least one discussion in the past about the period-ness of
> > bananas and/or plantains....isn't there some evidence of a peel or
> > something? in England?
> > Would they have possibly been period-appropriate for 16th c. Venice?
> > I'm asking for someone on another list....

Just got back into town from some extended field work.  It is my
understanding that in period the fruit was known more in Islamic rather than
European circles.  I seem to recall reading of a probably scurrilous Islamic
tradition that Eve's forbidden fruit was a banana rather than an apple.  No
I am not making this up.

Daniel