[Sca-cooks] frittours and fried foods

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 4 00:36:14 PDT 2004

Ranvaig asked:
> >> Team 8 made "Frutowre (fruit pancake), ".  Does anyone know the
> >> source for this recipe?
> >
> > Probably a variant on one of the following:
>
> Pretty muc what I had decided.  And not much like pancakes, I think.
> It might be stretching it to use these recipes for 10th c., but I
> think I will make fritters for our feast this weekend.  What early
> evidence do we have for frying?
I'm not sure what your definition of "early" is, but here are some
files in the Florilegium that have to do with frying. Like most period
recipes most of our evidence is from later rather than earlier. Another
question is how much oil do you consider being needed to be "frying".
We've had some ah, discussions, here about what evidence there was for
deep frying. And along with that, just how fat medieval pigs were or
whether they were raised primarily for their fat.
In the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
fried-cheese-msg  (12K)  8/20/02    Period fried cheese recipes.
fried-foods-msg   (33K)  1/ 4/01    Medieval fried foods. Recipes.
frittours-msg     (45K)  1/ 8/02    Period fried breaded foods. Recipes.

In the FOOD-BREADS section:
French-Toast-art  (27K)  3/31/00    "From Lost Bread to French Toast" by
                                        Christianna MacGrain.
French-Toast-msg  (28K) 12/14/02    Period French Toast. Recipes.
fried-breads-msg  (28K) 12/29/02    Period fried breads. Funnel cakes,
donuts.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas