[Sca-cooks] Need some fast help

RV Carper elewyiss at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 8 12:39:03 PDT 2004

Hello everybody, my name is Elewyiss and I'm a ditz. I have an herbal tea I
am giving for my Barony on Wednesday. I know nothing about tea and how to
make it. I was going to make a sage tea and a mint tea. Do I just steep the
fresh leaves in hot water? Do I have to add anything besides the sage? Does
anybody know if it was actually called tea in period?

I was also going to make sekanjabin (Sorry, lost the sticky with the proper
spelling), does anyone have a favorite flavour? I was thinking lemon or
orange. Having used the mint in the tea.

Also, I have a recipe for ketsup I was hoping to get some input on the
redaction.

Take a pound of anchovies washed and grated, mace and cloves, half an ounce
of each; a quarter of an ounce of pepper, three races of ginger, a pound of
shallots and a quart of flap mushrooms well rubbed and picked. Put all these
to one gallon of strong stale beer and boil it till it is almost half
wasted; then strain it through a Flannel Bag, and when cold bottle and stop
it close.

I only want to make at most half this recipe. Should I use canned anchovies
or anchovie paste? And what is a race? And when they say shallots, do they
mean the small bulb onions? And how much will it change the recipe if I
don't use stale beer? Was the use of stale beer because of taste or
economics?

Elewyiss