[Sca-cooks] New Jobs - or Why I Left the War Early

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Aug 26 14:02:35 PDT 2004

	I have to tell you guys about this job I think I'm going to get (had my
second "interview" today, and it went very well).  The job title (I'm not
kidding here) is Mad Scientist.  It is for a group called the Mad Science
Group, and they put on fun science shows/demonstrations/experiments for
in-school, after-school, special event, and even birthday party functions.
The interview on Friday was the best job interview I've ever had - we made
slime!  The follow-up today required us to come in and do some sort of
presentation to the group for 5 minutes.  It is very performance-oriented, a
background in science is helpful, but not necessary.  This is a franchise,
the main group is based in Montreal or Tornonto I think, somewhere in
eastern Canada.
	I picked the Mad Scientist name of Mz. Wiz on the day of the first
interview ('here - fill in this application, get up, pick a M.S. name and
introduce yourself, and go over the basic science rules: No talking, No
touching, No telling, Have Fun!).  I showed them the Santa card, which they
got a kick out of.  Then I had to go back in today in SCA garb because I
just came from my first Exploring the Middle Ages class with the Homeschool
group.  So, I did my Old World/New World food game, which they had a lot of
fun with.
	I came home early from Pennsic because I had job options that I had to be
here for.  The good news is that I got them.  The bad news is that I got
them all, and they all wanted to start this week (4 part-time teaching
jobs - different curricula, areas of town, etc.)  I got hired by the State
of Georgia (scary) at Chattahoochee Technical College to teach Culinary 101
to High School students as part of a Tech Prep program.  I got 12 kids age
9-15 signed up for my middle ages class, which started today, (3 kids added
in at the last minute), the Mad Science thing, and an on-line H.S. which is
in enrollment this week that wants me to teach and entirely on-line cooking
class for H.S. students for 18 weeks.  Still haven't figured out how that
one is going to work yet, but it's two weeks off if the class makes it's
enrollment.
	I think the college prep is the scariest because it is the most serious,
the Mad Scientist thing is the one I want to do the most, just for the
performance/fun aspect of it - I need that sort of outlet or I get twitchy
;/ ;/ ;/
	There actually isn't any really bad news, with all four I may just be able
to support myself, and it is nice to be wanted.  But, I can't help but think
it could have happened over the course of a month instead of a week and it
would have been better.  I am sooooo glad I hit the Pennsic Snooze Alarm and
stayed the extra two days, I needed the 'normal time' up there to help me
balance the craziness down here.  I have had to 'go to my happy place' a few
times - sitting in my camp
looking up at shooting stars - I think I saw more than anyone else- I got
about 6 my first night.  Made wishes on all of 'em too - be careful what you
wish for...
	Send balancing thoughts my way, my positive visualization is focused on
having all this in balance right now.  And by pure association, may the good
vibes ripple out and take all of you in as well.
	Much love,
	Christianna/Mz.Wiz/Mrs. Claus/Chef Seelye-King