[Sca-cooks] Brotherton Library and York: Was: Chinese Cookery Books

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 28 06:49:43 PDT 2004

Huette wrote:
> I suppose I shouldn't ask this, but why are
> you going to this library?  What do they have
> in their collection that interests you?

Well, the contents of the Brotherton Library were what spurred C. Anne
Wilson's interest in medieval cookery, resulting in several books which
caused me to dance for joy.  She was a librarian there until her somewhat
recent retirement.

When Johnnae went to the Leeds Symposium this past spring, I asked her if
she'd see if there was anyone from York who might want to meet with me
(three of us, newly retired) when we visit York next month.  I'd been to
the Symposium when they did a second session on Banquets in (2000?).
Johnnae graciously spoke to some folk who contacted me.  Eileen White, who
edited the new_ English Cookery Book, Historical Essays_, invited us to the
reception at Brotherton Library for this new book.  The reception includes
a few hours perusing some of the cookery books that they are putting out on
display.  Some of my local friends who are interested in Chinese cookery
wanted to know what those two shelves of Chinese cookery books contained.
And, there is quite a bit on late period cookery in the Library.  The first
chapter of White's book explains what's in the Brotherton Library, so
that's why the initial post about Chinese cookery books went out.

On an additional note, York will be having a weeklong Festival of Food and
Drink while we're there.  (Yeah, all we need are _more_ tourists! <g>)
However, another contact from York mentioned that Peter Brears was doing
two sessions.  I found them, finally, on the Festival's website.  The first
is a slide lecture on medieval cookery, linking it to the collection in the
Yorkshire Museum.  The second is a two-part session in Barley Hall, the
14th century building being restored in York.  Nichola Fletcher, who just
wrote _Charlemagne's Tablecloth_, will demonstrate some of the culinary
oddities she made - stuffing a swan, a stag filled with claret, and will
bring a raised pie to share with the observers.  Then, Peter Brears will
"conduct an interactive performance entitled 'Medieval Table Manners - The
Truth'."  He'll take volunteers (Me!  Me!) from the observers to learn to
lay a medieval table.  Brears was the one who did a new publication of _The
Art of Carving_ which includes laying the numerous cloths.  Space is
limited and I have e-mailed reservations (and been confirmed!) for the
three of us.  Can you tell I'm excited???  Barley Hall is such a
fascinating place.  Their website is still under construction, but when I
was in York with my daughter (2001?) I purchased the Hall's booklet which
has lots of photos.

There's also an exhibition in the York Minster Library showing recipes,
cookery books and herbal recipes.  Most aren't within "our" period, but
there are some cookery books that skirt the years, so I hope to go to that
exhibition since it's on a daily basis.

At Pennsic, I enriched Poison Pen Press's coffers with multiple book
purchases, including _Food and the Rites of Passage_, edited by Laura
Mason.  This is another in the series of papers presented at the Leeds
Symposium on Food History.  Laura Mason wrote _Sugar-Plums and Sherbet: the
Prehistory of Sweets", which touches on the SCA period.  The "Rites of
Passage" includes historical information on food and drink for weddings
(Ivan Day), pregnancy and childbirth (Laura Mason and Layinka Sinburne),
funerals (Peter Brears) and Irish weddings and wakes.  I have only just
begun reading this one but a quick scan shows that the first three topics I
listed have information from the SCA time period.  Since Laura Mason was
one of the people who contacted me, I want to at least have a nodding
acquaintance with her books.  Can you tell I'm excited???!!??

Other Poison Pen purchases include two of Brears' booklets for English
Heritage - _Food and Cooking in 16th Century Britain_, and the 17th Century
one.  Brears was the "draw" for me for the 2000 Leeds Symposium, but he
didn't attend, having collapsed due to overwork.  Ivan Day replaced him,
and that precipitated my trip to York where there was an exhibition of food
which was photographed and explained in Day's _Eat, Drink and Be Merry_.
The sugar paste tower and goblets in the 16th century section were
exquisite.  Sugar paste items then appeared in the displays of 17th and
18th century food.  Day works with someone who makes the moulds that he
uses for his sugar paste sculptures.  So, in two weeks I go to Austin,
Texas, for my son's wedding on Sept. 11, come home rapidly on the 12th, and
leave for England on the 13th where we will spend the rest of the month.
Can you tell I'm excited???

Alys Katharine