[Sca-cooks] OOP layout and printing question

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 3 12:28:14 PDT 2004

Pixel, Goddess and Queen wrote:

>Yes, this is actually food related, but there's a bit of a
>lengthy explanation required. <snip>
>
>Now my quandaries: Do I arrange them in order, i.e., book 1, book 2, etc.,
>or do I put all the similar recipes together (there are at least seven
>different recipes for chocolate icing, for instance)?

Honestly, it depends on your target audience.  If you intend this work
for food historians and maybe for the family members, leave it in
original order;  if for cooks, by similar recipes.  When you decide
which way to do it, make up an index for the other way;  i.e. if you
leave it in original order, make an index where they can look up all the
chocolate icing recipes, etc.

>The other quandary is this: Very few of these recipes have instructions.
>They're mostly just lists of quantities, usually in weights. Do I try to
>recreate the procedures from memory and from similar recipes, or should I
>just transcribe what's there and let the various family members do their
>own legwork if they want to actually make something?

Ah.  Well, certainly this group is used to working up our own
redactions.  Maybe recommend books like THE JOY OF COOKING for
instructions.  Gisselin's professional baking book if they are hip to
professional books.

>[Incidentally, I now have my grandfather's recipe for pecan tarts, and
>more importantly, for the tart shells. Which is slightly different from
>most tart shell recipes, and now I know why mine never tasted quite the
>same as his did. Grandpa put almond flour in his tart shells, and the
>quantity of butter is different.]

!!!  That sounds like one of The Magician's Secrets!

Are you likely to put it all up on a web page so your family can access
it at their leisure?
If you do that, will you deign to let us know the URL as well?  This
sounds =fascinating=!

Selene Colfox, using all those exclamation points for a good reason!