[Sca-cooks] Beans, beans, the musical fruit....

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 4 09:40:10 PDT 2004

Ok, here's a question or two for the assemblage.
	I'm working on lesson plans for nutrition classes (various age ranges).
I'm on the Beans segment just now, and have a list of beans to discuss:
aduki, anasazi, black-eyed peas, black turtle, fava, garbanzo or chickpeas,
great northern, kidney, lentils, lima, mung, navy, pinto, red, soybean,
split peas.
	I'll also be doing activities with the students such as grinding seed
butters (seeds and nuts are in this section as well), and a homework
assignment that will involve sprouting somthing like lentils or garbanzos.
	Lady Tara and I were talking last night, and she was saying that she had
just found some information from the Hernandez herbal (1615) that assigns
humoral attributes to chocolate, declaring it cold and dry like other beans
(she was pleased because she had come to the same conclusion herself :).
	This got me to thinking, maybe I could mention other foods that we know
that we don't eat in the bean form necessarily, but are beans nevertheless.
So far I've come up with cocoa, coffee, carob and tamarind, but I will
probably leave tamarind out.  What other bean products do we use that we
don't see as a bean?  (I've got all the soybean products covered.)
Christianna
Beans, beans, the musical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel