[Sca-cooks] Beans, beans, the musical fruit....

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Aug 5 04:32:54 PDT 2004

Avicenna (approx. 1000 CE) is referring to the properties of the unroasted
coffee bean for medical purposes.  Coffee beans as medicine pre-date
Avicenna by at least 100 years, being first referenced by Rhazes.  They
apparently were crushed and used in a powdered state.  Limited use as a
beverage is believed to begin around 250 years after Avicenna, while general
beverage use and cultivation in southern Arabia begins around 1450 CE.

Bear