[Sca-cooks] Potterheads, Unite!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Aug 6 10:00:13 PDT 2004

At 08:49 AM 8/6/2004, you wrote:

>Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>
>>Of course we don't know what will happen in the last two books. Who will
>>die? who will survive? Will there be anybody we care about left to go on?
>>
>>Ok- lets take a poll!
>>
>>         Who will die in Book 6?
>
>I think it will probably be Neville, being the other eligible person to
>kill Voldemort, which I'm sure he will strive valiantly and probably not
>succeed.  But he will be brave.

Possible. Poor Neville "Why is it always me?"

>The big question is:  Book 6 is called HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD
>PRINCE.  Who is that?  JKR has stated that it is [1] neither Harry nor
>Voldie, and [2] someone who appeared in Chamber of Secrets.
>
>My money is on Hagrid.  Half-blood, even if the other half is not Muggle
>but Giant.  This would explain why master manipulator Dumbledore kept a
>close eye on this drop-out ex-convict, wouldn't it?

I understood that Dumbledore kept Hagrid around to protect him. There is a
great deal of discrimination if not outright hated for giants and even half
giants. Remember the flap in book four, when Rita Skeeter snooped and
published what she found? There are people in the world who think Hagrid
should be, er, 'put to sleep' we might call it. I have a suspicion that
Dumbledore got Hagrid out of a tight spot, and perhaps saved his life-
certes, Hagrid treats him as though he owed him a life-debt, yes?

>Also:  the Wizarding World is a bit short on titled nobility.  "Lord" V.
>was a self-bestowed title;  then there are the Bloody Baron and Sir
>Nicholas "Nearly Headless Nick" amongst the ghost population.  That's
>about it.  Where is there a Princedom in the Wizarding World?  Did
>Princess Di have some 'splaining to do?  Her second son was Prince Harry
>after all.  Hmmm.

This is part of why I think Godric is the Half-Blood Prince. He needn't be
alive to figure in the story. I think a good part of the book will be about
the founders. Remember, it was Godric's hat that became the Sorting Hat.And
when Faukes brought the hat to Harry, who's sword should he pull out of it?
Godric's. When Joanne mentioned that there was something that she wanted to
write more about in Book Two and had to put off for a later book, I read
back through to see something that might fit that description. And what is
involved that could seriously be expanded? The story of the founders.
Remember also, the cause of the division? That Slytherin wanted the school
only for purebloods? Did he and Gryffindor have an antipathy like Harry and
Draco? Could it be that Slytherin mostly wanted to get rid of Godric...
because he was not a pureblood?

Just... er, something to think about.

'Lainie