[Sca-cooks] Sugar Plums

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 6 10:44:55 PDT 2004

--- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
<jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:

> Anybody have any idea whether the plum variety
> called 'sugar plums' are
> similar to a period variety?

I found only one website that talked about an
actual plum called a "sugar plum".

Here is the only description I found:

Mount Lassen Farms Sugar Plums

The Sugar Plum needs no introduction. Its
appearance is that of a gigantic purple grape. It
is one of the few plums with a non-bitter skin.
Your first bite will give way to an incredible
fruit full of character.

Its golden flesh is followed by nature’s second
honey that comes rushing forward to greet your
taste buds with every bite. This fruit's sugar at
harvest ranges from 18% to 25%, and it has been
said "the rays of the sun have been captured and
stored beneath the flesh of this singular fruit
to only be set free when tasted."

I am making a guess here, but this sounds like
a modern, hybridized fruit to me.  I am not
sure if there would be a period equivalent.
What makes me think this is the claim of the
"non-bitter skin".

However, in period, I do believe that the
sweet called "sugar plums" was known during
the late 16th century.

Here are a variety of non-period "sugar plum"
recipes that I have gleaned off the internet.
It is amazing how few of them actually use plums
or prunes in their recipes.

Huette

Sugar plums

Ingredients:

1/3 c slivered almonds (2 ounces)
4 oz dried figs
2 T unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 c honey
1 T grated orange zest
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 c granulated sugar

Procedure:
1.  In a small dry skillet over medium heat,
toast the almonds to bring out their flavor.
2.  Remove from heat.
3.  Cool.
4.  Combine figs, cocoa, cinnamon and almonds in
a food processor and pulse just until they become
the size of peppercorns.
5.  Add honey, orange zest and extract.
6.  Pulse 3 or 4 times more or until mixed in.
7.  Spread the sugar in a shallow dish.
8.  Form the dough into 1-inch balls.
9.  Roll in sugar.
Makes about 2 dozen sugar plums

Sugar Plums

2 cups whole almonds
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
1 cup finely chopped pitted dates
1 cup confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toast almonds in
oven, 10 minutes; cool, finely chop. Combine
honey, orange zest, cinnamon, allspice & nutmeg
in a bowl. Add almonds, apricots & dates; mix
well. Pinch off rounded teaspoon-size pieces of
mixture & roll into balls. Roll balls in sugar;
refrigerate on waxed paper in airtight containers
for up to 1 month.

Sugar Plums

1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup ground walnuts
1/4 cup quick rolled oats
30 maraschino cherries

In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla
until creamy. In a separate bowl sift together
flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed
mixture and mix thoroughly. Stir in walnuts and
rolled oats. Dough may be a little stiff. Shape
into balls around cherries.  Bake on lightly
greased cookie sheets at 325*F for 15 minutes;
cool slightly on wire rack. Roll in powdered
sugar while still warm. Makes about 30 cookies

Sugar Plums

1 cup raisins
1 cup bite-size pitted prunes
1 cup pitted dates
1 cup currants
1 cup candied cherries, dried cherries or dried
cranberries
1 cup walnuts
1/2 to 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
Granulated sugar
Using a food processor, grind the fruit and nuts
and mix well. Work into the mixture as much
confectioner’s sugar as it takes to form 1-inch
balls. Roll balls in granulated sugar and
refrigerate in single layers between sheets of
wax paper in airtight containers for up to 1
month.
Yield: 4 1/2 dozen

Sugar Plums
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup plus 4 tbsp grated coconut, divided
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup dried apples
2 tbsp kirsch liqueur
In a food processor, fitted with steel chopping
blade, finely chop apricots, pecans, 1/4 cup plus
one tablespoon of the grated coconut, raisins and
apples. With the motor running, add the kirsch
and blend the mixture for 5 seconds.  Form the
mixture into 3/4-inch balls, pressing each one
firmly into shape. Roll the balls into remaining
3 tablespoons grated coconut in a shallow bowl,
coating them evenly. These treats will keep in an
airtight container for up to 2 weeks or can be
frozen for several months.

Sugar Plums

1 tin sweetened condensed milk
2 small pkg. strawberry jello
1 1/2 c. coconut
1 c. fine vanilla wafer crumbs
strawberry jello powder
whole cloves

Mix first four ingredients. Form into one inch
balls.  Roll in additional jello powder. Press
one clove into each ball.  Store in fridge.

Tante Marie's Sugar Plums

1/4 lb. (1/2 cup) butter
1/8 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp. grated orange rind
3/4 cups walnuts, finely chopped
1-1/2 large pkgs. pitted dates
brandy (optional)
Cream together the butter, salt, and the
confectioners sugar until very light and fluffy.
Add the orange rind and the walnuts and a little
brandy if you wish. (You may need a little more
sugar if you use brandy.) Make a slit in each
date, fill each date with this butter mixture.
Roll in granulated sugar and allow to dry 4 to 5
hours before storing wrapped in colorful paper.

=====
shall never cease to be amused.