[Sca-cooks] pigeons and small birds

Patrick Levesque pleves1 at po-box.mcgill.ca
Sat Aug 7 05:44:46 PDT 2004

Will doves do?

>From the Romanian cookbook (which is, of course, in the Florilegium :-))

Take young doves or young chicken, and boil in this manner: first grill
them, stud with small morsels of lard, not too well. If they are as small as
quails, leave whole; if they are large cut in four morsels, and put in the
pot. Then add fresh butter or sour cream, salt, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon and
lots of pepper, umbrella nuts and pistachios well ground, or almonds,
whatever you have, and 5-6 egg yolks, beaten with a little lemon juice, to
be slightly sour, and meat stock to cover by 3-4 fingers, and boil, often
mixing with a spoon until the juice thickens and they are cooked. Then when
you serve, sprinkle with white sugar and crushed cinnamon.

Another dish, Have young doves or chickens and stuff, and after stew them
with salted pork tongue and old (i.e. not green) whole small onions, or stew
with kohlrabi.

Petru