[Sca-cooks] pigeons and small birds

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 7 07:38:33 PDT 2004

On 7 Aug 2004, at 2:19, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I've got a number of recipes for strawberries and bitter oranges, but I
> don't think I have too many for pigeons. So, does anyone have any
> period recipes for these? Their small size would seem to make them
> problematic at SCA feasts, but has anyone served these at a feast? Or
> served other small birds?

I saw that someone posted a recipe for doves.  I'm going to let you in on a
secret: pigeons are doves.

No, really.  The "rats with feathers" that infest American city streets are also
known as Rock Doves.  All doves and pigeons are members of the family
Columbidae.  The young of doves and pigeons are all called squabs.

So... you can legitimately use any recipe for doves.  De Nola has several
recipes for squabs, and some for wild pigeons/doves.

I have contemplated serving quail at a feast, but it didn't seem cost-effective.
The closest I've come so far is hard-boiled quail eggs.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net