[Sca-cooks] Frog legs

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Aug 10 10:06:03 PDT 2004

Also sprach pleves1 at po-box.mcgill.ca:
>  > >
>>  Dumb question:  what do frog legs taste like?  I have never tried them.
>>
>>  Selene
>

>Well, quite frankly, they don't have much taste... A very toned-down chicken
>taste is actually not that far off. Which is why the frying batter and the
>sauce are what I have to work on.

I can see a little resemblance to chicken, but generally less
flavorful, and very much the white meat of the chicken, not the dark.
It may also be that freezing them, as with things like frozen rabbit
(I believe all the frog's legs I've ever had have been frozen), is
detrimental. I do see live frogs sold occasionally in some Asian
markets, and I believe the whole (or nearly whole) frog is eaten.

There's a Persian or Iraqi preparation (I forget which) in Schwabe's
"Unmentionable Cuisine" for frogs' legs marinated with crushed
garlic, olive oil, salt and, I think, lemon, then grilled, that
sounds like it would add a lot of flavor.

>Mind you, it was the first time I prepared them, so maybe I screwed up royally
>and can't figure it out :-)
>
>(I never had rattlesnake either, so I can't compare...)

I've also never had rattlesnake, but I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04