[Sca-cooks] Re: What would you do?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 10 18:37:30 PDT 2004

In this case, the feast hall is included in the autocrat's budget as part of
the site.  It will be covered by the site fees.

A feast only event would run $10-12 per person (for one I was running unless
I got a really bad deal on the hall), although in Ansteorra it is common to
have the fees split into site and feast to accomadate people who want to
attend, but don't want to eat.

As one of our king's put it, "Ansteorra is a blue collar kingdom."  The
average wages are less than many other places, so the prices need to reflect
that reality.  Fortunately, prices are generally lower on meat, so I can
afford to feed the carnivores.  For many years, I produced feasts at around
$3.50/plate, but rising prices and attempting to come closer to a true
period feast have increased my base costs.

A good reputation helps fill the seats.  I am known for providing a wide
variety of appealing foods in quantity, so no one leaves the table hungry
(I've had one failure in this regard).  I also provide for diabetics, food
allergies and one local vegetarian.

I expect around 120 reservations when they open up the reservation lists and
I expect to hit break even on Friday evening.  The menu and ingredient list
will be posted at the gate and the bread will be in the ovens to entice the
weary travellers.

One expense that is not included in the feast costs are the feast tokens.
I've taken to preparing menus and recipe booklets for feast tokens and I
cover those from my pocket.  Fortunately, I've had access to donated
printing and I handle layout, makeup, collation, folding and stapling
myself, so the cost is more of time than money.  I'll post the contents of
the booklet on the list after the feast.

Bear

>Thanks Bear.  That is a Lot of help.  Sounds tasty (even my fussy love
Galen would find plenty he would like), and at a nice price.  I don't think
I have ever seen a feast here for under $10, though some are as small as
40-80 people, and the cost of the hall rental must drive the price up
(especially for feast-only type events.)