[Sca-cooks] Re: [Servicenet] A passing of a foodie giant

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Aug 13 09:52:57 PDT 2004

Also sprach Susan Fox-Davis:
>James Fox-Davis wrote:
>
>>I just heard over the news that Julia Child, the primal TV-chef and
>>Mistress of French Cuisine for Americans, has died.
>>
>>Everyone doff your tocque for a minute in respect.
>>
>>Jared
>
>This is a very bad year for noted Cookbook Authors.  Alan Davidson,
>Jeff Smith, Myra Waldo and now Julia Child.
>I may have to reconsider my plans for writing cookbooks.  Hoo boy.!
>
>Selene

Um... don't get me wrong... this is going to sound harsh, maybe...
but yes, you might want to reconsider your plans for writing
cookbooks if you don't want to eat well, drink, if not like a fish,
at least moderately well, get paid to do something you love and pack
it in at a sprightly and juvenile 90-ish...

With the recent passing of a [locally] influential and beloved sports
broadcaster, I'm beginning to get a new perspective on what had
previously been, at times, just a meaningless expression: the
celebration of the life of the person we lost instead of the grieving
for the loss. I listened to the Mets game on the radio after the
passing of Bob Murphy and was almost astonished to find myself
listening to a rather rollicking series of stories tucked between
bits of play-by-play. The sense of it seemed to be that Murph had
been playing an elaborate practical joke on his listeners for
40-some-odd years, carefully hiding behind a business-like exterior
what an extraordinary (and somewhat bizarre) person he had been, and
on that night we got to hear about Murphy's claim to have been one of
the first people in the US to have animal tissue implanted in his
body (he said his left elbow joint was actually a goat's knee after
surgery on a shattered elbow in his childhood in the 30's), how he
used to go to school on a blind mare when he was a kid, and a
plethora of tantalizing little snippets about a guy who was a born
raconteur and tall-tale teller in the Mark Twain mode, but who felt
professionally obliged to wear the narrow tie, the button-down
collar, and hide this side of himself (except when he slipped and
yelled, on one occasion, "They win it! The Mets win the g----mned
ballgame!" But throughout all this, the atmosphere was somewhere in
between a [presumably] booze-free Irish wake (interestingly, I'm been
to quite a few Irish wakes and never seen booze at any of them), and
the play of a Dixie-land jazz band on the way out of the cemetery. It
really _was_ a celebration of Murphy's life, and the fact that we got
to share some of that life was less important than the circumstances
of its end or the end itself.

I'm hoping, for the sake of those personally affected by Julia
Child's passing, that they can weigh their love for her and the joy
she gave them and her inspiration that they still carry, and find
that it outweighs the grief. For myself, I remember her best from my
childhood, dealing with very early Muppets in glorious
back-and-white, and I always wondered how she did that trick with the
multiple, time-accelerating ovens... ;-)

And then, one has to really wonder what the world would be like if
she had become a spy ;-) ...

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04