[Sca-cooks] Stuffed grape leaves

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 14 16:31:49 PDT 2004

I truly have enjoyed the junk food stories, being a bit of an addict myself.  Once in awhile, only trashy food will do ;o)

But, yesterday night I set out on what I thought would be a bit of easy research.  I am going to write a brief article for our shire newsletter with my recipe for dolmas.  Sooo, trying to set a good example, remembering that these are not a redaction, I thought I would do a bit of very tertiary research to back it up, at least for educational purposes.

Alas alack!  After spending more than a few hours reviewing Medieval Arab Cookery (thank you dear Huette), and briefly reviewing Cariadoc's Miscellany & Stephen's Florilegium, I can't seem to find any stuffed grape leaves, dolmas, dolmatas, vine leaves or anything.  The best I can seemingly find is a reference that the Turks moved to someplace else (place forgotten) and the folks there made stuffed cabbage leaves instead.  I think it may have been a post by Anahita who is now blissfully enjoying Pensic--oomashallah (Translation for non-arab personnas:  God would hope:  particularly in light of the storm/hurricane Charlie!)

Anybody home out there have any inkling about dolmas in period?   Thanks guys if it is a bit too Eastern to be easy, I can certainly understand.  There is no rush.  I just was beginning to think the heat had gotten to me, and I was playing with even less of a full deck than usual....

Samrah
(who did have a bout of heat sickness yesterday, but is doing much better today.  thank goodness for baths with fresh lemon & mint)