[Sca-cooks] Kids in the Hall (OOP, OT) (was Re: Seeking bread recipe)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Aug 19 07:35:12 PDT 2004

Also sprach Avraham haRofeh:
>On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:54:26 -0600, Sue Clemenger
><mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:
>>  Kids in the Hall sketches?
>
>Kids in the Hall, a Canadian comedy troupe. From their FAQ:
>
>The Kids in the Hall (aka KITH, aka KitH) is a sketch comedy troupe best
>known for the TV show of the same name . KITH as described by Rolling Stone
>in the troupe's first major coverage by the U.S. media in 1988: "The
>Kids...take their time and don't deliver big knee slappers; individual lines
>are less important than concepts, keen observation and disciplined,
>confident acting. Their humor is not topical, cynical or shock-oriented but
>insightful, gentle, generous - and subversive. Like Monty Python, the Kids'
>sketches begin with an absurd premise, but they're not outrageous for
>outrageousness' sake; they craft provocative, lyrical performance pieces
>that showcase their strikingly varied physical types and acting approaches."

What Rolling Stone said (although I don't know the Kids were above a
little shock comedy now and then). The character to whom (which?) I
referred was the star of several sketches featuring Bruce McCullough
as a man with a cabbage for a head (they made this really cool hat
out of an actual cabbage, probably blanched whole and then the leaves
teased apart, as for the whole stuffed cabbages eaten in France --
food content?), worn like a football helmet. The gist of most of the
sketches was the same: Cabbage-Head out on dates with various women,
being brash and obnoxious and using incredibly stupid pickup lines
and manipulations to initiate various sex acts. When rebuffed, he'd
blame his cabbage head for destroying his sex life, and everyone
around him for discriminating against him for having a cabbage for a
head...

My favorite line? "At least let me come in and water my head --
otherwise I'll go bald!!!"

I did once hear a shout at an SCA event, off in the distance, "I'll
bet they'll never make me a Pelican because I have a cabbage for a
head!!!"

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04