[Sca-cooks] Seeking bread recipe

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Thu Aug 19 22:21:22 PDT 2004

Laura C. Minnick <lcm at jeffnet.org> [2004.08.19] wrote:
> >Not to mention the Middle English riddle along these lines.  Lainie, have
> >you got it (the riddle) somewhere?  I can't remember how it goes.
>
> Actually it's Old English (Anglo-Saxon). I think the one you want is Exeter

While we are at food content in the Exeter riddles we must not forget
number 52:

Hyse cwom gangan,      þær he hie wisse
stondan in wincsele,     stop feorran to,
hror hægstealdmon,     hof his agen
hrægl hondum up,     hrand under gyrdels
hyre stondendre      stiþes nathwæt,
worhte his willan;      wagedan buta.
þegn onnette,     wæs þragum nyt
tillic esne,     teorode hwæþre
æt stunda gehwam     strong ær þon hio,
werig þæs weorces.      Hyre weaxan ongon
under gyrdelse     þæt oft gode men
ferðþum freogað      ond mid feo bicgað.

The young man came over to the corner
Where he knew she stood. He stepped up,
Eager and agile, lifted his tunic
With hard hands, thrust through her girdle
Something stiff, worked on the standing
One his will. Both swayed and shook.
The young man hurried, was sometimes useful,
Served well, but always tired
Sooner than she, weary of the work.
Under her girdle began to grow
A hero's reward for laying on dough.

(a milk churn)

> (Not bad considering my books are still down south and I had to search
> online!)

Same here, since my copy is in my bedroom, where both of the cute girls
are still sleeping.

/UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
It provokes the desire, but it takes away the performance.
		-- William Shakespear, Macbeth