[Sca-cooks] Serve Safe

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 20 12:48:33 PDT 2004

Thanks, Adamantius, that is helpful.  Having that info in the back of my
head as I'm going through the training will help keep me from doing a
spit-take at unopportune moments anyway. :)
As I said, I've been offered the job, so I'll be doing this in the next week
or so, and starting in a classroom in 2 weeks.  All that, and the first
paycheck doesn't come until the end of October!
Having the Serve Safe and Train the Trainer certs will be really good on the
resume at least, so if I don't like the drive or the job I'll still be
ahead, and can offer the class to SCA food handlers, which is something
we've talked about several times in the past.
Appreciate the insight,
Christianna

>I would get trained and certified in Serve Safe, has anyone gone through
that
>training?

<snip?Sort of a Geneva Convention for Food Safety.

Overall, it seemed fairly sensible and, as with the standards I'm
used to dealing with, difficult but not impossible to follow, but at
some cost to the flexibility and creativity of the cook if everything
is followed to the letter. I suspect that each cook, as had
previously been the case, has to be able to figure out which
conditions are most likely to cause harm, realize that the rules are
there to protect people from abuses and, to some extent, eliminate
the need for common sense.

Hmmm. Am I making any sense here?
<snip>
Adamantius