[Sca-cooks] OP: Chocolate Date Nut Cake

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Mon Aug 23 09:32:05 PDT 2004

This sounds like one of my favorite holiday treats. We called it
polka daters. The recipe I have is for an 9x13 pan and doesn't
have cocoa in it. It is kind of like a spice cake with dates,
chocolate chips and nuts in it. Does your recipe call for any
spices?

I have no idea of the origins...it was something my mom learned to
make when she lived in the hills of West Virginia (Clay County).
It isn't Christmas for me without it. You might try searching
through some hillbilly or Appalachian cookbooks or histories. I'm
trying to think of that project to document these types of things -
 the Wildfire series?

Ysabeau
Barony of Bryn Gwlad
Ansteorra