[Sca-cooks] OP: Chocolate Date Nut Cake

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Aug 23 09:40:59 PDT 2004

I'll keep an eye out. It's not in Baking Across America or in my
American Food & Drink Encyclopedia. I need to check those desserts from
the 1950's books.

Johnnae

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote: about a cake-- The batter was made with
flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, and dates, poured into a square pan,
topped with chocolate chips and chopped walnuts (and granulated sugar,
but i left that out after making it that way once), and baked.snipped
There were a number of recipes that were pretty much the same old recipe
i remembered with very slight variations. mayonnaise. snipped whole
wheat version with ground flaxseeds, pureed tofu, and fat substitute in
the batter, sweetened with maple syrup, but it still had cocoa and dates
in the cake and was topped with chocolate chips and walnuts.-- There was
a version that won a Texas state fair,