[Sca-cooks] Nicholas Flamel (was: Oops..um...nevermind

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 24 21:53:46 PDT 2004

>And part of my library is labelled: Divination --Arithmancy -- Ancient
>Runes -- Potions -- Herbology -- Charms. But (food content) I haven't yet
>tracked down a copy of Charm Your Own Cheese ...
>
>Cynara
>Ravenclaw '68

Well, i was rather unimpressed with Harry Potter, but i've read all
the books and seen all the films and will continue to do so...

And, well, what the heck, i've taken several different "Sorting Hat"
tests. I always come out Ravensclaw, although on the tests to find
out which Harry Potter character one is, i come out as Harry. That's
embarassing.

A large part of my library contains books on various forms of
divination (still haven't been able to get a fresh liver), and
herbology. I am especially partial to ancient stuff  in Akkadian and
Canaanite and such (some great stuff back there in Mesopotamia), and
also to stuff from Late Antiquity when there was a great deal of
syncretism and all the Hermes Trismegisthus stuff. And i have a
section on the revival, so to speak, in the late Renaissance -
Marsilio Picino is a joy to read - it's like having a chat with this
thoughtful old Renaissance guy, very personal.

Anyway, there is a vague relationship of all this to food.

Last year the not-so-secret ingredient in the West vs. Caid Great
Western War Iron Chef Competition was apples. And i found a Byzantine
love charm said over an apple in the abstract of a conference of
scholars on Byzantium. So that was the first dish we served -
although for reasons i hope are clear i didn't allow any of the
diners to eat of the apple.

So, a confluence of magic and food. But no charmed cheese.

Anahita