[Sca-cooks] OT & OOP: Greasecar?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 25 20:13:31 PDT 2004

In 1962, Dodge had a turbine engine that would run on just about anything
flammable you could pour.  Even won some big races with it.  But they
couldn't beat the noise problem, so it was impractical as a production
engine.

With ethanol (which is still found as a gasoline additive in some places) it
is production cost.  It costs more energy to produce than it generates, so
it is used primarily to reduce emissions.  Manufacturing process is
distillation (invented by the Arabs a millenium or so back) but I think ADM
may have a few patents to improve the process.  The reason you don't see it
anymore is economics, not conspiracy.  Get the price of gasoline to spike
high enough permanently and just watch ethanol make a comeback.

Bear